Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Couldn't Ask For Anything Better...

"And all the children were sleeping, all snug in there beds...while visions of sugar plums danced in their heads."

OK...it really WASN'T like the night before Christmas at work tonight! But it was darned near the best *present* I could have ever received coming back from a long vacation. A quiet hush fell over the land of mental illness and my triage phone only rang a few times.


My first day/evening back on the job after my vacation has gone quite well. I had the sometimes unfortunate task of triaging all of the intake calls tonight...more often than not, a job that can be completely overwhelming and jarring. But tonight...for whatever reason...the phones were UNUSUALLY quiet...creepy, eerie, quiet...the kind of quiet that could only have been brought about by serious contemplation and prayer to an outside entity much larger than myself! Yes, Virginia...there IS a Santa Claus AND a God!


I was pretty unsettled heading back into work to cover one of the more difficult tasks of my job tonight. But I have to say, the evening went very smoothly and I can relax once again, having now "returned" to the grind. It's always that first day back after a vacation that can be the hardest...the one where you have one foot back in the dreamland of rest and relaxation and the other foot dancing on that thin line of chaos. And if you're not very, very careful, that position can wind up in a painful gymnastic splits!!!


But I am home now...my cat has missed having me home all day at her beck and call. She seems a bit *miffed* I have not been here to be her personal lounging sofa during the day. And I am slowly fading back into my real world of business as usual...sleep, work, eat, sleep, work, eat, etc.


I kind of miss being the topside of my cat's lounge chair right now, too...it sure was a great vacation...**sigh**

2 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

I went through the same experience with my on-call tour of duty this weekend ... very disconcerting!

Miss Chris said...

I'm so glad you had a reletively quiet first day back. Going back to a nightmare at work always made me regret taking taking a vacation. Does the status of the moon ever affect your patients?