Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Amazing How A Bit O' Controversy Attracts...

I have decided rather than comment back to each, individual statement left on the "Dr. Jack Is Back..." post (see previous post), I'd just WRITE a post in response...many of you left thoughtful and interesting comments and I appreciate your writing about the subject. It IS one of those topics most of us would prefer NOT to discuss out of respect, controversy, religion, politics, fear, etc. But, you DID it anyway...so thank you.

I just sent Harkoo/Joyce and email and in it, I commented on my belief those of us diagnosed with MS (MSers) are some of the "smartest and kindest" folks around. Now, certainly not EVERYONE diagnosed with MS fits that category (because I HAVE met some MS-A-holes in my time...LOL)...but I DO believe the disease either attacks "smart and kind" people or the disease creates "smart and kind" folks! :)


I am always amazed when I read comments left here and on other thoughtful MS blogs (not that BrainCheese fits into that category: thoughtful..."thought" I should clarify!) at just how much wisdom, understanding, humor, patience, and endurance exists among the MS Club members. We seem to be a very accepting group, yet on fire about our personal beliefs at the same time...this to me is the definition of "wisdom".


Many of you shared your personal stories and experiences regarding "right to die" issues surrounding family/friends...some of you commented on your trepidation regarding the topic...and still some of you, made poignant and even humorous comments to add brevity to the topic. But NONE OF YOU pointed a condemning finger, which I find both heart-warming and fascinating! This has always been one of my goals for this blog: To provide a place where opinions/concerns/topics about life and living with MS can be discussed without fear of retribution.


So, I pose a NEW question to each of you...How has MS changed YOUR inner wisdom? What has it brought into your life that might not have come along without the diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis, good or bad (besides numbness, pain, etc., MDMHVONPA!)? And for those of you wonderful souls WITHOUT MS who comment here, what is your connection to Multiple Sclerosis and how has that connection influenced your life?


Those of you who comment here, astonish me...I have faith you can tackle this question, too! And for those of you who CONTINUE to do a Google search on "Fornication Under Consent Of The King", you are in the WRONG place, Perv!...LOL...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh, the irony. I just finished writing a post on how I wanted out of the MS club and why, and here you are talking about how great those of us are that are in it! Sheesh. What an ingrate I am. :)

Anyway, I'm feeling rather peevish tonight about my MS so I think I'll keep my mouth shut on this topic for the moment. However, I did want to say thanks for the thought-provoking posts on assisted suicide. I'm in agreement with most of the commenters.

mdmhvonpa said...

Wow ... t hat swim suit looks good on you! ;D

And yes, MS changed every thing. I left my first job because they took all my work away from me when they found out. I had to spend THOUSANDS on ac. My diet changed dramatically, the decision about children had to be set back for 10 years to see how things turned out ... and my force of will was tested to see if it's mettle would last.

But it only changed an iota compared to the advent of children.

harkoo said...

It changed everything. I was a very high-achiever and those lofty goals of my youth never could be met as i had MS fatigue set in. I chose not to have children as my mom also had ms--I didn't want to inflict my genes on my child and if i was to get as sick as my mom was, i didn't want my child to have to deal with that. As it turned out, i was fine. Having the disabilities of my MS has taught me HUMILITY and i have had to push my comfortable boundaries and have seen what is really there inside of me.

Steve said...

I don't have MS, but my wife's dad had MS, and her mom still does. When I met my wife, her dad was in a coma in a hospital somewhere around Chicago and had been for about 6 years. I still don't know all of the details, but apparently he had a brain infection. I don't know if it was related to, caused by, or completely seperate from his MS, but one day he had a terrible siezure, slipped into a coma and never woke up. He passed finally after about 8 years.

Mom-in-law was diagnosed with MS in the early 80s and has been chugging along ever since, when my wife was about 11 years old. Ups and downs. When my MIL was diagnosed, my wife said she was told to go turn in her DL, quit her job, apply for SSI and resign herself to a sedentary life of books and TV. And she did exactly that. I still get angry when I think about it.

While MS has definitely affected me in my life, it's had a profound affect in shaping my wife. She's who she is in large part due to the experiences she's had and MS was certainly a driving factor in many of those, so I guess if there's a bright spot, that's certainly one for me.

Steve said...

Oh, and I'll echo what mdmhvonpa said. You're smokin' in that swim suit! ;)

Anonymous said...

oh boy , MS changed my perception on life and on priorities . It brought humility and humbleness but it also brought insecurity ( been married three times ) , depression , rage ( no puppies were hurt, don’t worry , LOL) .
I gave up what I loved doing the most : art and music , but in return I met people I would’ve never met before.
I am not a strong person and I guess will never be but MS opened a door in my heart that I never knew existed. I surprise myself sometimes .

Miss Chris said...

How has MS changed my inner wisdom?
Let me see...I don't want this to sound cheesy but...I feel better about myself now than I ever did. Sounds crazy, eh? What I mean is I feel like a much stronger person now. I have a better attitude than before and I enjoy the smaller things in life.

harkoo said...

For Adina--is it that you can't do your art because of problems related to your MS? I was an artist too but am not working now as i have problems with my hand at present and my mind can't wrap itself around working on anything creative. I am glad you at least have somethings in your life that you value to take the place of the art.

BRAINCHEESE said...

ZEE:

And I READ your post...what a bummer! I know you'll figure out what is the right thing for you...and have the tenacity to GET it!

LD

BRAINCHEESE said...

MDMHVONPA:

Men! Humphf...I thought I looked a little "fat" in that picture...LOL (For God's sake...it ISN'T me!!!)

Yes, I've been told children will age you...welcome to the pre-AARP club, dear man...LOL

LD

BRAINCHEESE said...

HARKOO/JOYCE:

I think you are a wonderful example of coming out of the dark side of MS with your pants still on!!! I always enjoy what you have to say...especially since you've had the disease much longer than me.

LD

BRAINCHEESE said...

STEVE: (X's 2)

Yes, it does sound like MS has impacted your life even WITHOUT having the disease yourself...it really isn't a disease that just affects one person. Family/friends all "have it", too, in a sense.

And regarding your agreement with MDMHVONPA...Men! Humphf...LOL

LD

BRAINCHEESE said...

ADINA:

I am sooo glad you are back, sister! I truly have missed your wit and perspective.

Oh, contrare dear one...you are one of the strongest people I know in the big "blogosphere" of life. Sorry, but your writing can't hide this...

LD

BRAINCHEESE said...

MISS CHRIS:

It doesn't sound "crazy" at all...really. MS gave me a new lease on life in some ways...I no longer did/do things I don't want to do because I don't want to waste my time. It brought the ticking time clock closer to my ear and I have learned to listen to it now...

LD

Anonymous said...

Harkoo/Joyce
I no longer puts around with painting or the cello because my stamina is gone . I have no strength in my arm, my mind is a fluff of marshmallows after all the meds I am taking and last but not least , I am a compulsive perfectionist that refuses to allow mediocrity seep into anything having to do with creative endeavors…. So….that’s my story and I am sticking with it ..LOL

harkoo said...

For Adina Sounds like we are kind of in the same rut with the art. This sucks. Thank you for responding. I had always thought these would be my most productive years with the painting and pastels and i had envisioned I would be going to Europe on group landscape painting trips. Shit!! And i played the flute but gave it up as my breathing got weaker. Sorry for us today!!!!

Anonymous said...

nah, no sorry for us . now we can be critics of others hard working perfectionists , and in my case , a jaded curmudgeon at times without having to explain why !! LOL!!!

Have Myelin? said...

MS changes everything, from the inside out and outside in. I'll have to blog about it. Hum.