Saturday, August 25, 2007

This Just In...Three Months Ago...

It appears the AMERICAN RED CROSS has reversed its prior decision regarding blood donation with a confirmed diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. I just ran across this article at ABOUT.COM which highlights the May 24, 2007 revision of donor guidelines.

If you're so inclined to want to peruse the ENTIRE donor inclusion/exclusion and criteria list, here's the AMC link for that, too: http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html


So, dammit MS Team! Let's get out there and donate the gift of life...before "they" change their mind again...I'm feeling a bit anemic just from the thought...LOL...

8 comments:

pb said...

Wow! Hope so.

This was the #1 (incidental) thing that upset me when I was diagnosed.

Miss Chris said...

I was always happy to think my MS was a reason not to donate blood ( not that I mind needles but just the thought of being drained...) alas...I'm anemic anyway!

BRAINCHEESE said...

PB:

Me, too...one of many "incidentals". I'm still going to be curious if they will take my blood while on Novantrone, though!

LD

BRAINCHEESE said...

MISS CHRIS:

Girl friend! You need to eat a sandwich! LOL **Mumble, mumble...little skinny anemic people...**

LD

Sara said...

now if they would just let american's who've lived in the uk donate I'd be the first one in that que!!!

BRAINCHEESE said...

SARA:

OOPS! Posted my comment about this issue to you in the previous posting, "Please Ignore the ...blah blah blah." I think you're still eligible to donate blood in the States...long story short. LOL

LD

Joan said...

Hello All!
I'm just catching up with this issue and was THRILLED to discover that I could give blood again. BUT then I read the rest of the Red Cross web page and discovered that I can't - I've been exposed to MAD COW disease because I was stationed in Germany. Sigh...
Then I came to Brain Cheese and realized that I should have been paying closer attention to this blog!
Joan (short in the cord blog)

BRAINCHEESE said...

JOAN:

Well, I suppose saying you've been exposed to Mad Cow Disease goes over better in most company than Syphilis!!! LOL

Good to see you again...

LD