Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Handle With Care...

It's not often I participate in "extracurricular" work assignments...and when I use the word extracurricular as applied to my job, I mean WORK outside of work.

But today, I am traveling to Tacoma, a city about an hour away from Seattle, while on my day off to participate in a State-wide Task Force regarding the training and implementation of a recent legislative law that directly impacts my job. I volunteered for this assignment...because I so strongly BELIEVE in the legislative intent.


You see, in 2004, a colleague of mine was killed in the line of duty...the very same duty I perform day in and day out on my job. The duty of assisting the mentally ill. The task of "keeping the mental health peace" and making legal decisions about individual dangerousness as it relates to their mental illnesses. The duty of providing, watching over, and advocating for one of the most vulnerable populations of our society. The DUTY of human services.


I did not personally know the colleague and man who was stabbed to death while providing assessment and service in 2004, but we shared the same job title and role in a different part of the state. I attended his funeral service along with many other colleagues from across the state...it was incredibly moving and such a celebration of his life and work. I left that memorial service with a conviction to do what I could in the strongest ways I could to safeguard against the tragedy of such a death again...I left that service KNOWING, but for the grace of God go I.


As in any political arena, there are agendas...some blatant and many hidden. I am about to enter one with an entire state impact, which may be a mix of chaotic agenda and politics. But as I sit here this morning at my computer remembering the man who's death and circumstances caused these political wheels to churn, I am solidly clear of my AGENDA. Life is fragile...in ANY circumstance...and we MUST nurture IT and handle IT with the fragility of a snowflake while it is still ours to admire and touch.


"Marty. Your LIFE and your WORK will never be forgotten."

14 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

You know, I know why you do not carry defensive weapons (they may get taken away and used on you, and then the state could get sued!) and why you do not have security (costs too much, your life is not worth the expenditure to the state) but it amazes me that you and your compatriots still soldier on in spite of the poor treatment you are subjected to by both the employer and the patient.

Once more into the breach good friend ...

BRAINCHEESE said...

MDMHVONPA:

Your words are the kindest that have found my ears in quite some time...thank you.

LD

Bubbie said...

The work you do is an admirable service,as are your intentions to improve conditions. Keep the focus dear and refuse to get lost in the quagmire of political poop.

BRAINCHEESE said...

BUBBIE:

Thanks for your kind words also...however, I have unfortunately learned (regarding politics and meetings), in a sea of "turds" circling the bowl--sometimes one must cling to the floaters to stay alive! LOL

LD

harkoo said...

Do you wear any protective gear at all when you are dealing with the public?

Sara said...

you go girl!! thank gawd there are people like you willing to fight the system to make it better for others, cheers!

BRAINCHEESE said...

HARKOO:

We wear only our protective sensibilities...

LD

BRAINCHEESE said...

SARA:

We all have a cause, a purpose to fulfill in this life...mine was given to me long ago.

Thanks for the thoughts.

LD

harkoo said...

I think when I was working in the mental health field (many years ago) the police were doing the work you describe. All the more respect for you. Couldn't you at least wear a protective vest?

Miss Chris said...

"There but for the grace of God, go I" is one of those sayings that runs through my head all the time. I can't imagine how difficult your job is and how you soldier on.

BRAINCHEESE said...

HARKOO:

We could probably wear handguns...but we'd just end up shooting ourselves in the foot! LOL

LD

BRAINCHEESE said...

MISS CHRIS:

Most jobs have challenges and difficulties...it's just what one grows "used" to that sadly becomes the norm.

LD

harkoo said...

I have contributed to a fund to buy bullet-proof vests for police dogs here--maybe we can come up with some funds for the mental health workers in Washington State! lol

BRAINCHEESE said...

HARKOO:

Probably a fund to FUND our own private therapy would be good! LOL

LD