Saturday, December 01, 2007

Winter Blunderland...

Well, "they" are still predicting 1-3 inches of snowfall this afternoon in my hilly and chilly city...it's a great day to stay indoors! Unless, of course, you work in emergency services, law enforcement, hospitals, or the Department of Transportation. The Postal Service isn't the only one who has dibs on that going to work in "rain, sleet, snow, or hail" thingy! You'd be surprised to know how MANY of your city/county/state/federal workers go to work regardless of the weather or natural disasters...or maybe not.

In my particular "essential service" job, my coworkers and I cover the entire county I live in...all 2126 square miles of it. From the base of majestic Mount Rainier to Vashon Island and as far north/northeast as the Skykomish River and Alpine Lakes...all 1,808,300 citizens that live within these borders.


As you can probably imagine by this description, we can be driving through SEVERAL weather patterns on any given day. So...when SNOW is predicted for the lowlands (which includes Seattle proper right down to the waterfront/Puget Sound), I tend to become a bit of a weather-phobe. And it's not my driving in this weather that concerns me...I spent my formative years on the plains of Nebraska plowing into snow drifts with the front of old cars just for "fun". LOL But VERY few other people (many transplants from California, or at least that's what I'm told) in this city know how to DRIVE in snow!


So, I give to you my early morning song-writing in honor of my upcoming "snow day/night" at work. Please feel free to sing it out loud today as you think of me risking life and limb on the highways and back roads of my county. LOL Or, if all you can muster up is a good CRINGE, that will do just fine, too:


(Sung to the tune of "Let It Snow")



Oh, the weather outside is frightful
MS is soooo delightful
Only if you've no place to go
Then let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.


When I finally get to work today
Slip sliding all along my way
I'll be cursing every mile I go,
"Blessed snow, blessed snow, blessed snow!"


When I leave my job tonight
I'll be in for a horrendous fright
Up the hills I will have to go
I curse the snow, curse the snow, curse the snow.


And when warm again in my bed
As I shake snowflakes from my head
I'll think, "Winter in Seattle sure blows",
When it snows, when it snows, when it snows!

3 comments:

Miss Chris said...

You are so incredibly creative. Catchy little tune...

Diane J Standiford said...

LOL, oh slap me now. I feel so smug. Retired from being "on call" or requested to "stay the night" working for Seattle Utilities, I can actually watch th snow fall with glee. Partner got me a Starbuck's ($2.78!!!!) small mocha and we laughed at the Seattle folk staring as if the moon were falling in pieces. We former Midwestreners and you can drive in the snow! But Seattle...hahaha, course they do have hills. Weeeeeeee Be safe BC, we need another song!

Bubbie said...

I remember in December of 1989 we had an unusual cold snap here in sunny sw florida. We had snow flurries! (well only a few) Geesh...even while in Virginia over Thanksgiving it was unseasonably warm. Today here...sunshine high humidity and at least 80. I'm looking for somewhere in the middle, not too hot, not too humid, change of seasons but not too cold. Does anyone know where that is??? lol