Sunday, December 16, 2007

What Lies Beneath...

I haven't spoken/typed much lately about my Multiple Sclerosis because...well...I actually haven't posted much about ANYTHING of late. It's not because my MS has vanished. Quite the contrare...it has been lurking just below the surface and, this past week, reminding me of its presence with a gentle "tug". And, as usual, I have been trying to simply keep my head above the water by treading...just like we ALL do, with or without the diagnosis of MS.

What began last weekend as something I chalked up to standing too long in my kitchen stirring snack mix and baking bread has turned into something I can no longer successfully ignore. I've developed a rather annoying and uncomfortable "tightness"/squeezing sensation from my waist down and into both legs. And what is worse, if I stand for more than a few minutes, I have a most unpleasant "pressure" in my bowel, giving me the idea I need to catch up on my reading by sitting on a toilet...I know...TMI...Too Much Information! I decided today, after resting for the ENTIRE weekend, it was time to consult Dr. She Who Will Not Be Named...mostly, because I have never experienced this lower abdominal sensation before.


I will be the first to admit, I really haven't been "myself" lately...WHOEVER that person is! A lack of quality sleep stacked on top of a few stressful weeks at work/holiday rush time/anniversary of my sister's death/and an assortment of "other" unusual circumstances, has left me feeling what can best be described as anxious. And I don't "do" anxiety well. I have pondered the notion I might be experiencing a slight depressed mood, exacerbated by the anxiety...and, I don't DO depressed mood well either. LOL Whatever the case or cause, I have not speculated much about this below-the-waist-phenomenon because I assumed it was just all part of my "mood" and would pass on its own (just like the Cymbalta commericals say, "Depression can hurt"...physically). Unfortunately, today I have had some difficulty walking and the discomfort below my waist has increased to more than a slight distraction...it is interfering with my peace and calm!


There has been a LOT of cold and flu flying around my office and numerous folks have been out sick. When I awoke Thursday morning with my face ACHING (I know, I know...my face must hurt all the time because it's been KILLING you. Old junior high joke...), I assumed the "bug" had finally caught up to me and I was in the beginning throws of a sinus or cold "issue". That pain left me fairly quickly however, and I did not develop further symptoms that would be typical for seasonal illness. I again attempted to just "ignore" my bodily discomfort.


Today, the below-the-waist-phenomenon has kept me pretty much butt-planted on my couch or in bed...minus the making of the previous post's video. Dr. SWWNBN is questioning whether my Novantrone is "holding" me now for the full 3 month dosing sequence...I don't know what to tell her.


What I DO know is, I'd like to hear from any of you that have had a similar symptom...the below the waist squeezing/pressure/discomfort/aching/weakness feeling accompanied with a bowel sensation of needing to "evacuate" (a fancy nursing term for "take a dump")...not bowel urgency...just a feeling like relieving yourself of yesterday's meals would be a "good thing". Anybody? Anything? Ponder this and get back to me, OK? It would be nice to know I'm not just full of sh!+ as the reason for this "pressing" symptom! Or, maybe it WOULD be a relief to know I am just full of it...

7 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

I often had this sensation during my first years of DX, it would come and go. (no pun intended) It felt at times like a large rubberband around my midsection, sometmes a vise. Sometimes it forced me to rip off my clothes(luckily I was at home) ANYTHNG to breathe, feel free of it! Like MS, a bothersome, but "this too shall pass" or you can ignore it. As for the sinus issue, everyone I talk to in Seattle has it...killing them, I surmise it has to do with the storm front we are playing with.(or that is playing with us) OK, that has been my experience.

Diane J Standiford said...

Oh, and "not everything is MS," there are important organs below the waist, a trip to your internist perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I've had/have the aching/weakness/tightness sensations from the waist down with varying amounts of numbness, too. It comes and goes..haven't noted the bowel Sx in conjunction with this, tho. Sometimes bladder urgency is noted with this and it's a race to the BR! If you've been burning your candle at both ends it could just be the body calling for rest. Also sounds a bit like muscle spasm/tension which occurs pretty frequently with MS. Hope you feel better soon and get to the "bottom" of this!

Miss Chris said...

I've experienced this tightness around my waist but not any lower. Makes you always want to be near the crapper, eh? Sorry I haven't commented in a couple weeks but I was just lazy I guess but I'm back now and actually had the motivation to make a new post. What's with this burst of energy...

Sara said...

happy holidays from l'town :)

Have Myelin? said...

Yes I have. The only difference in the "evacuation plan" as I shall delicately call it is while I'm being squeezed by Shel Silverstein's boa constrictor my "EP" (see above, hehe)feels sudden and urgent and I've actually done a bit of the deed. Not the whole deed. Just a squirt...or two and then I am so shocked it happened I regain control.

So far it's worked, my ability to "regain control".

Your squeezing sensation sounds more "squeezy" than mine but I do feel it. I feel encased in a glove..from the waist down. Different pressures at different times. It drives me crazy.

I'm sorry you are going thru this.

KT said...

I too have had this "pressing" issue. Mine occurs like clockwork...every other day. One day on, one day off. I can literally plan 3 months out on what day the tightness in the abdomen will occur. It's craziness.

Good luck and take care.