Thursday, January 08, 2009

I've Become A Whore...For Sleep...

It's true...since the onslaught of my latest viral/bronchitis/pneumonia episode, I just can't seem to get enough of it. Sleep, that is.

As a chronic insomniac (because of pain issues, sleep apnea, PLM otherwise known as Periodic Limb Movement, and a host of other "issues"), I have recently found myself spending more time with my eyes closed than awake whenever possible. It's been wonderful, quite frankly. Getting 8+ hours of sleep in a 24 hour period is a new phenomenon for me and one I had only read about in *health* magazines and fairy tales until recently!


And my dream life has become FAR more fascinating and productive than my awake time. I have been meeting with world leaders, flying around the world (without a plane, mind you...just my arms), not afflicted with Multiple Sclerosis, running long races through the countryside, etc. Who, in their right mind, would EVER want to give this up, i.e., WAKE UP?!?


Oh sure...some *skeptics* (hehe) might say my active dream time is simply the product of substance-induced, mind-altering chemicals that I take to PUT me to sleep. Naysayers. Whatever...I don't really CARE what is causing this latest fast track into the wonderful world of Disney Sleepland. I just don't want it to end. And if it weren't for the responsibilities of a job and a four-legged feline scratching at my bedroom door each morning to awaken me, I probably would STILL be dozing away in peaceful bliss!


But alas...the responsibilities of the awake and living world around me whisper in my ear, disturbing my wonderful Rip Van Winkle time and I must now turn my open eyes toward the business of my day. But as soon as this day ends, you know where you can find me.


I'll be walking Nightynight Lane, leaning into the open car windows of any sleep John who will have me, and selling my body and soul for those few precious hours of blissful delight. I'm not sure a Sleep Whore is supposed to enjoy her job...but it sure is a plus not to hate it...

12 comments:

Have Myelin? said...

I love being a Sleep Whore. It's the only time I can sing "I'll be coming around the mountain" in tune while going down black diamonds in my purple parka.

Webster said...

I, too, am a sleep whore. It's one thing I do really well. Really well.

Blindbeard said...

I HATE that PLM! It drives me crazy and steals my sleep too. I also hate when my pain meds wear off and leave me awake and hurting -- its enough to make me start pondering if the beams in the basement could hold my fat arse if I chose to try and hang myself from them. I need to start pinning a note from my 'jammies top that says, "PLM and pain made me do it." that way everyone would know why I broke the rafters in the basement and am laying in a broken heap on the floor. I like to cover my bases.

Unknown said...

You are making me sleepy with envy just reading this.

Caregivingly Yours,
Patrick
http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/

Lisa Emrich said...

PLM = Periodic Limb Movement

That's a new one on me. I do that sometimes, but it's when I'm awake. Also just thought of it as a twitch, or jerk, or spasm. Now I know that it's probably not the same at all, but I'm trying to relate. :)

Thank you for continuing to educate us. And I hope that you get as much sleep as your body likes.

"Mr. Sandman....bring me a dream, bring me....."

Denver Refashionista said...

I love sleep, probably even more than I should. I am glad you are getting some. I sleep like 8 hours a night and 11 or 12 on the weekend. I also nap whenever I can. I am tired almost all the time so sleep is my drug of choice.

Unknown said...

"Make him the cutest that I've ever seen...." Love that tune...

Sleep whore...hoo boy, that's me.....hope you don't mind if I use that one...

S.

Diane said...

I fly in my dreams as well sometimes. I REALLY hate waking up from those dreams. Flying is such a wonderful feeling - and in my dreams - I can take people with me who hang on to me. It's cool.

May you have many more cool dreams, spread your wings(arms) and fly, fly, fly!

Have Myelin? said...

Wake up, Sleeping Beauty!

Spaz Attack said...

Yo Harlot

So you're having fun rolling in the hay are ya? glad to hear it. Meds certainly do contribute to some fantastic dreams -- and yes, I'm not afflicted with MS in them either. While most are quite vivid many are frustrating and I'm trying to "rescue" someone. Ok, I might be blowing someone's brain's out with a shotgun at the same time. In many I'm underwater and swimming from house to house, or adventure to adventure. That could be related to my love of water, warm water that is. I want to move somewhere it's warm, the water is warm and it is "safe" (so no suggestions about me moving to hell little BrainSplat --living with MS gives enought of that!)Any SANE suggestions? Anyone? Hellooo, anybody there????????????

Blindbeard said...

Are you awake yet, Rip Van Winkle? It must be nice to be a whore for something so beautiful as sleep; I'm just a whore (insert big cheesy grin here).

Sara said...

I've never wanted to call myself a whore, but when it comes to zonking out I do LOVE every minute of it!