Monday, April 10, 2006

I Am Left Speechless...


I thought I would be able to sit at the computer today and type a witty blog about my first day back at work after relapse, or perhaps something important and pertinent to Multiple Sclerosis, but I can't. These topics will have to wait for another day.


I have just witness the most moving event I have seen in many decades on the streets of downtown Seattle and I am speechless. Thousands of immigrant people set to foot and marched en mass to rally solidarity and protest today. It was a sea of moving bodies, waving signs, waving American flags, shouting, singing, and cheering. They banded together to raise one voice and finally be heard as my government struggles to recognize its many limitations. The sight brought me to tears and humbled me beyond words. And, I felt embarassment for the color of my skin, my ancestors, and any choices I have made along my path that have created disharmony among people of all nations.


I stood on the street and watched in awe as so many people passed in front of me, each with their own, personal story of why they were marching...each with their own passion to "suit up and show up" yet another day. They have come to this country for so many reasons, but it is their primary passion to live a dream that brought tears to my eyes. I felt the problems of my own life and health melt away as tears rolled down my cheeks and cleansed my soul.


Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.


May I never forget the sight of today's march or the carefully chosen words of the First Amendment.

No comments: